The library, originally organized by the local chapter of the King’s Daughters, was located in the home of Mrs. S.A. Thomas. By 1915, the library was moved to the present location on land donated by August Weiss. The ladies raised the money with events and were able to open the library relatively debt-free. Flora Haffy, wife of Judge Haffy was the first librarian.
According to the Del Norte Prospector the two large grist wheels in front of the building were made from native stone and from the Del Norte Flouring Mill. The wheels were found lying on the ground behind the library at the time.