Matthew Chestnut and Charles Newman started a drug store in 1875. Newman became the postmaster, and the Post Office may have been located in this building. W. L. Stephens joined the firm a short time later. They sold to Dr. F. G. Flournoy by 1880, who eventually sold to a Mr. Wilson. Many businesses were located. Hope and Ralph Peckumn owned it for forty years.