This now empty parking lot was once home to the Shaw Block, built at the time of the start of Del Norte in 1874. Known as the “pioneer brick building”, it was home to many of the beginning businesses in Del Norte, including offices for the newly formed Rio Grande County. In 1887, Dr. Loui Weiss purchased it from Sophia Shaw and renamed it the Weiss Block. By 1938, the Hubbard family had owned it for many years, and it was known as the Hubbard Block. In December of 1938, the building was lost to fire with several businesses located in it.