In 1888, three Baptist ministers came to Del Norte to start a church. Rev. James Kirk became the minister, with the services being held in the new Rio Grande County Courthouse. The congregation moved to a building on Columbia. At one time, the home of Thomas Good was also used for the services.
In 1901 Rev. Armbruster reorganized the church, and in 1902 property was purchased on Grand Avenue. This location was used until 1913 when the building on Spruce Street was built and dedicated in December 1913.
The chimes in the belfry were placed in memory of Jay Short, Clarence Schlicting, Warren Card, and Glenn Burnett, who lost their lives in World War II.