This home was built around 1907 by Julius and Tillye Weiss.
Julius was born March 24, 1869 near Colorado Springs, Colorado to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Weiss. He came to Del Norte by wagon at the age of 4. His older brothers, Adam and August, drove the family’s cattle into the valley. In his early years, Julius worked in various mining camps in the San Juan area.
On July 14, 1895, he married Tillye Grubb, daughter of Dr. James and Minnie Grubb. After Dr. Grubb’s death, Minnie married Fred Freeman, and in 1902 they had built the Freeman Block in downtown Del Norte.
Julius and Tillye lived in Vulcan, Colorado where he worked as a mining supervisor. When the mining activity declined, they returned to Del Norte. They had three children, LaVeta, Dorothy, and a son who died in infancy. Dorothy married Dr. S. O. Swartz. LaVeta married Earl Bond, but died in 1916.
Julius worked with his brothers in the mercantile businesses in town before he became the general supervisor for the Freeman Supply Company at Seven Mile Plaza for his father-in-law and mother-in-law.
Another pioneer couple made this their home. Charles and Edith Keck lived here after retiring in 1951 from farming his parents’ ranch in the Twin Mountain area. Charles was the son of Rosena and Christian Keck who came to Del Norte in 1881. Mr. Keck was a barber. They also lived in the Twin Mountain area, where Mrs. Keck was the local midwife.
Edith was the daughter of Frank Johnson. She was born in Nebraska, and came to Del Norte in 1910. She lived on what is now the Wilson Ranch west of Del Norte. She and Charles met at a Pinos Creek dance.
Turn right on 6th Street.